Thursday, October 28, 2004

The Races: Originality, Variety, and "Believability"

Something my brother and I really struggled with in the creation of Miendur was the various peoples. We wanted to create something new and something with depth. If I were to mention a race to my brother he would instantaneously have the same mental picture that I would. This makes it somewhat difficult to explain in one setting because my brother and I have probaly put hours of thought and conversation into each race.

Our first goal was to create original peoples. Our races are obviously going to be influenced by some sources, but we really try to create fresh new outlooks on intelligent, social beings.

Our second goal was to create an incredibly diverse and varied set of civilizations who interact with each other. Our own world sees no end to variety when it comes to the civilizations of the past and present, so why should Miendur be any different?

Our final goal was to create peoples that were realistic. Basically, even though it is pure fantasy, I want people to say, "Yeah, I guess that could happen."

No comments: